Martial arts are great for kids but we are often asked how old do they need to be to start training. Normally, kids need to be 6 or 7 to join a kids class. However, we have developed a specialised programme for 5 year olds which we offer at our Kuk Sool Won™ school in Pukekohe. Here are 5 great reasons why your 5 year old will benefit from our Kiwi Dragons™ programme in the Korean martial art of Kuk Sool Won™.
1. Respect and discipline: Kuk Sool Won™ specifically focuses on creating respectful citizens. We gently encourage our 5 year old students to develop self-discipline and show respect to their instructors, fellow students, parents, and themselves. We do this through individual and teamwork drills and exercises, as well as by role modelling good behaviour.
2, Focus and memory: 5 year olds have a short attention span. By using repetitive exercises and breaking martial art elements into small components, we capture the attention of our young students and gradually improve their memory. We supplement this with various reward systems to keep them focused and motivated.
3. Control and balance: By breaking down martial art elements into smaller components, young students gradually gain control over their developing bodies. They develop co-ordination and balance through exercises that encourage development of the left and right sides of their brain and body.
4. Self-defence: Self-defence is at the core of Kuk Sool Won™. From their first class our 5 year olds learn how to get away if someone grabs them. They consistently practice getting away quickly so that it becomes second nature.
5. Fitness and fun: With plenty of age-appropriate exercises, drills and body conditioning, 5 year olds gain strength and fitness. They also have a lot of fun, which is an essential part of the learning process with young children.
6. Spatial Awareness: Kids spend a lot of time on digital media these days and from an early age. Flat screens and no interaction with others and real objects will not help them learn about depth perception and spatial awareness. By participating in a group activity with real objects, kids get to experience 3 dimensional play.
Caroline is a 5th degree black belt and Jane is a 2nd degree black belt in the traditional Korean martial art of Kuk Sool Won™ . They run 2 Kuk Sool Won™ martial arts schools in New Zealand.